Ok having a lot of the same discussions all over the shop so will put all of my notes from the teaser down in concise form in one place to save my RSI addled wrists! Here we go, in chronological order as points appear in the video.
1. It’s a teaser, not a trailer. Deal with that. Come to peace with it.
Yes that is Bumbersnatch doing the V.O.
3. The first person we see is a black man, which is great considering previously Lando appeared to be the only black guy in the entire Universe.
4. He is wearing a Storm Trooper uniform, missing the bit that would actually disguise him (the helmet).
5. He has no ID marks on his back and no sand guards traditionally worn by Storm Troopers in such climates (both points suggest he is on the run).
6. People have speculated that the football droid is going through a spaceship graveyard, that could well just be farm equipment.
7. Nobody said this droid was an astro-droid, it’s just a random droid, stop calling it an astro-droid – a spherical astro-droid would be utterly useless as they need to mag lock to the outside of ships during battles to perform their primary function! It could be one, but I doubt it.
8. The second person we see is female, again, great as previously there was a severe lack of feminine characters in Star Wars.
9. Yeah, the troopers headgear markings are different to “Imperial Storm Troopers”. This marking scheme does not appear to have be used anywhere else previous to this teaser; it’s new.
10. Those blasters are significantly different also (hopefully they have auto aim innit).
11. The “X-Wing” wing configuration is very different to a traditional X-Wing wing configuration – it is a top bottom / back front lattice rather than a fixed upper lower resting on top of one another type. This isn’t an X-Wing as we know it. It’s quite possibly a next generation X-Wing or a next generation Alliance Star Fighter of a different name/designation.
12. That’s a cross guard light saber, they have been mentioned before in games and extended (now defunct obviously). The hand guard beam is there to prevent dueling combatants losing hands; please try to not forget that almost every duel in both the original films and the prequels ended with someone losing a God Damn hand – so just on that basis alone it is immeasurably practical. It’s two beams crossed – not three (to clarify and silence smart asses pointing out “just hit the middle and it’s fucked!”, ie. You cut through the casing (cross guard) with another light saber the crystal is still holding it together and the blade will NOT pass through it and subsequently your hand – it’s fit for purpose. On top of that, the fact it has two extra surfaces to parry and block with is an advantage. It will require less Ninja like jumping around, and more broadsword like control – see Vikings. This is simply a different form of saber fighting; http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_combat for more details on different method of Sabre fighting, in particular see: Individual Fighting Forms. Lastly on the Saber the design is very suggestive this Sith is a JEDI HUNTER. Trained to fight other Sabre users, the fact he has engineered himself such an advantage is important, ie. this is not his first BBQ.
13. The Falcon does the “TURN THE SHIP AROUND!” maneuver much added to by the disco soundtrack family guy added in their parody of The Empire Strikes back – perhaps a nod.
14. I can’t see anything special about those TIE fighters, they were standard.
A very nice gentleman on Twitter brought this to my attention, which I’d missed:
Posted on November 29, 2014.
Tags: first, one, Star Wars, teaser, the force awakens